Steve Bruce’s future as Newcastle United boss remains hanging in the air.
In a tinge of positivity, he will still call the shots when the Magpies host Tottenham Hotspur in the Premier League this Sunday.
Speaking to reporters, the 60-year-old Bruce said there have been ``no discussions’’ on his future and he has tried to ``keep my respect and dignity’’ following Newcastle's takeover.
1,000th GAME AS MANAGER
New part-owner Amanda Staveley said Bruce, who will celebrate his 1,000th game as a manager, will be the ``first to know’’ if things change.
Staveley added the club wanted to be ``patient and considered’’ in their approach and ``change doesn't happen overnight’’.
Bruce also admitted preparations for the game ``have not been easy’’.
The Magpies are winless after seven matches ( 3 draws, 4 losses) this season and lie second bottom in the league.
Rumours about him being set for replacement have swirled as the new Saudi owners have been linked with former Borussia Dortmund manager Lucien Favre, Rangers' Steven Gerrard and former Chelsea boss Frank Lampard as potential replacements for Bruce.
Meanwhile, Leicester boss Brendan Rodgers ruled himself out by saying he was ``very happy being here at the club’’, while former Magpies manager Rafael Benitez, now at Everton, said he wants to ``keep my word and continue working here’’.
`I WILL TRY MY BEST’
Asked on Friday if he can convince the new owners, Bruce replied: ``I will have a crack, try my utmost, who wouldn't want this opportunity? Any manager would love to sit in my chair, so I will make a fist of it and try my utmost. I will try my best for the club.’’
A £305-million Saudi Arabian-backed takeover of Newcastle United was completed last week, bringing an end to Mike Ashley's 14-year spell as Magpies owner.
Bruce has come under immense pressure in recent weeks and many fans want him to leave the club.
Leave a comment